Sunday, January 5, 2020

YAAY! I Can **SHOWER** With My JBL ONBEAT AWAKE!



Why I Bought This Old Technology (GOOD & CHEAP!)



I saw a JBL ONBEAT AWAKE for sale recently on Carousell, the local Hong Kong version of eBay/Amazon.  The unit was listed in New Old Stock condition, and the price was low (and negotiable!  I got an even better deal than the asking price, which I love!).  I simply couldn't resist making an offer on it.  I've been looking for a way to bring audio into the bathroom for some time now, because I like to listen to the news and music while I am taking a shower. 

The unit promised to neatly solve a host of problems.  A compact and attractive stand-alone amplifier from a respected manufacturer, the JBL ONBEAT AWAKE not only features a docking port for Apple technology (we have a legacy iPad around the house that we can plug into this thing), it also accepts direct LINE IN and Bluetooth inputs, affording a great deal of flexibility in terms of audio sources.

The Problem Is My Mobile Phone Isn't Loud Enough


The amplifier in my cell phone, a Samsung Galaxy A8+, puts out a pitiable amount of power.  Most mobile phones put out 8mW, or .008 Watts, which is miniscule when compared any other type of amplifier typically around the house.  But it still somehow manages to be the loudest cell phone in production right now, at 86db.

Still, even the Samsung Galaxy A8+ wasn't loud enough to overcome the sustained sound pressure of a heavy downfall, like that of a bathroom shower, which can reach almost 70db under conditions where the droplets are striking a hard surface.  

The enclosed nature of our shower also serves to reflect sound waves, further confusing the soundfield.  Finally, leaving the bathroom door open, so our main amplifier could push sound into the bathroom, was a poor compromise.  To hear the main amp in the bathroom, the sound level needed to be cranked up to the point where Mrs. Maker began to make unhappy noises, and the water vapor from the shower invaded the rest of the house.  Extremely sub-optimal.

Watch Me Experience The JBL ONBEAT AWAKE



I received the unit this morning by mail and couldn't wait to unbox it, set it up, and review it.



Here's the video of my experience with the JBL ONBEAT AWAKE:





Help a Maker Out?
===============
Did you see anything in this video you want for yourself?  If the answer is yes, consider using one of the link(s) below to buy it directly from amazon.com.  If you do, I will get a small, but very encouraging commission that keeps me going!

Bill of Materials
============

JBL OnBeat Hotel Bluetooth Wireless Loudspeaker with 30-pin Dock Connector (Black)

For a modern version of this technology, I recommend the JBL Charge 4.  Several of my "hipster" friends have them, and they seem like a LOT of fun and are especially popular with Gen Y, Gen Z and beyond...

JBL Charge 4 Waterproof Portable Bluetooth Speaker with 20 Hour Battery - Black
https://amzn.to/39DmzDL




No comments:

Post a Comment