Friday, December 20, 2019

DON'T Buy A DT830D Multimeter!

From the MTMM Archives! A video I recorded a few years ago when I bought a cheap-o DT830D multimeter on a whim. Boy did I regret it as the meter turned out to be nothing but a *waste of time* as it could not even deliver the most basic functionality of all - a continuity test! Incredible! In the end, after buying the meter, taking it apart, putting a battery in, putting it back together and then checking its ability to test continuity, I was left baffled by the fact that its resistance measurement was jumping all over the place. I documented the experience and then moved on. But today I found that this meter was still being sold on the market, and I wanted to warn people about the risks involved with buying this meter, at least those which I experienced! As a consequence of its unreliability, the DT830D meter is not a meter I can recommend, and this video documents why. If anyone can explain to me why the meter behaves this way, I would love to hear from you! Instead, I went and bought a much more EXPENSIVE (but also much more reliable) meter from a FLUKE Authorized Dealer the Fluke 12B. This meter is no longer being produced, but I loved and and using it developed a respect in me for FLUKE products that remains to this day. ** I am not supported by paid by FLUKE in any way **




No comments:

Post a Comment