Thursday, January 16, 2020

EZ-RIDER - Spark Plugs **REDUX** [Solved]



Top Tip:  Use the Right Sized Socket


My first attempt to remove the spark plugs in EZ-RIDER ended in ignominious failure, with the spark plug socket I had purchased as part of a generic socket set completely the wrong size.  



As it turns out, a 16mm thin wall socket is required to fit in the tight places of the 1997 Honda Magna VT250CR motorcycle engine, and I simply didn't have the right socket!  The socket that came with the set I bought was totally the wrong size...it was 21mm!  Not even close!

So, after a little bit of a search on Amazon, I found the right socket - then I had to wait.

Once the socket arrived, I was able to get to work.

So I took the two spark plugs:



The copper grease:



And the 16mm thin wall socket:



and brough them all together to change out the spark plugs!


Post Install Comments:


Changing the spark plugs was actually pretty uneventful in the end.  

- The REAR spark plug is very easy to get at.  

- The FRONT spark plug is not easy to get at.  You need to remove the radiator, which is a big job.  I should have also removed the lower radiator mount as well, because it got in the way and for the little bit of extra work I should have removed it.  But, in the end, the plugs were changed in under an hour. 


Old Spark Plug Condition


For those who are interested, here's what the old spark plugs looked like:











REAR spark plug, FRONT spark plug

Lizard!


Though it has nothing to do with changing spark plugs, one of the highlights of the job was the lizard that's decided he's going to live in EZ-RIDER, and who made it clear that this bike was his now!



The lizard shows up a couple of times when I put the REAR spark plug and its boot back in, and I took some still shots that appear at the end of the video.

Enjoy!



Help a Maker Out?


Did you see anything in this video you want for yourself?  If the answer is yes, consider using one of the link(s) below to buy it directly from amazon.com.  When you do, I get a small commission that helps me to keep going!


Bill of Materials

NGK (5666) CR8EH-9 Standard Spark Plug, Pack of 1
https://amzn.to/2Sb1Ocj

LA-CO EZ Break Copper Grade Antiseize Paste, 1800 Degree F Temperature, 10 oz Jar with Brush in Cap
https://amzn.to/2PerUZZ

Sunex 884504 3/8-Inch Drive Thin Wall, Metric, Spark Plug Socket, CR-MO
https://amzn.to/2MflpEq






No comments:

Post a Comment