Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Lubricating EZ-RIDER's SEIZED and BINDING Locks!

All FOUR of the locks featured on EZ-RIDER were either stiff or completely seized: 

(1) The IGNITION lock was very stiff

(2) The ACCESSORIES panel lock was basically un-turnable

(3) The FORK LOCK was so stiff I was worried that I would break the key
(4) The HELMET LOCK was completely seized and totally useless and unusable.


Using a combination of 



A) Armor-All Contact Cleaner
B) WD-40
C) 3-IN-1 Oil


I was able to get all of the locks working again, with just a little bit of effort and time.

The methodology I used was pretty straightforward.  

I) If the lock is has an electrical role, use contact cleaner first
II) Next, use WD-40 as a penetrating oil, to loosen up any rusted parts and drive out any moisture
III) Finally, coat the key in 3-IN-1 Oil, insert the key into the lock, then work it back and forth in the lock to spread the oil around in the mechanism and help it to penetrate and coat all moving parts. 

After a minute of work per lock, every one of them was turning smoothly.  The only remaining problem was that the actuator bolt on the helmet lock was completely seized and immovable.  Fixing that will have to wait for another day and another video...or not, because I plan to cut the helmet lock off of EZ-RIDER altogether in my quest to convert it into a BOBBER style motorcycle.

All in all, lubricating those locks felt like it was totally worth it.


And I don't have to worry about breaking the key any more!



No comments:

Post a Comment