Thursday, July 16, 2020

2005 Forester - Driver Door Lock Replacement

I purchased a used 2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X yesterday!  Yaay!  Another Subaru Forester!  I just love them!


This 2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X has many, many problems to discover and diagnose - some obvious and some more mysterious and hidden!  

The first problem to fix with this car was really obvious and quite serious.  

The only physical lock (the driver door lock) was not working right.  It was *impossible* to insert the key because there was an object lodged inside the lock, obstructing it.  It seemed to me that it was one of two things  (1) The internal mechanism of the lock had broken and a piece of it had become stuck inside, or a key had snapped off in the lock.  Either way, there was something stuck in the lock, preventing key insertion.


Figuring that it was a snapped off key and that I would need to replace the lock entirely, I went about figuring out how to remove a lock from a 2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X, filming the process as I went.  

After a bit of a false start, I figured out how to access the mechanism, and then removed the lock.  

I discovered that the thing obstructing the lock was not a broken key, but rather the little steel flap that is integrated into car door locks to protect them from the weather.  In this case, the steel flap had broken off and become lodged in the lock mechanism.  



Once I got the lock out of the door and tipped it over, the little flap just fell out into the grass!  Then I could insert the key!  So after that, it was just a simple matter of removing all of the accumulated rust from the lock, backing plate and door interior, and then re-installing the lock back where it came from.

This video documents the entire process in such a way that a reasonably mechanically-inclined person could reproduce my intended result, which was to demonstrate how to take out and put in a driver door lock.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment