Thursday, April 2, 2020

Quick Fix: 4K LG TV w/ Flickering Screen Problem

A bit bored and looking for a challenge, I decided to buy a "broken" LG 49UH6500 4K TV to see if I could fix it.  

I already have a bunch of TV's, of course...but all of them are stuck in a place that I cannot currently access due to the lockdown in Hong Kong and the fact that my work is closed from public access.  Also, I don't have a 4K TV and I was curious to see if the image quality was any different than the many 2K TVs already in my possession (1920 x 1080 is 2K).

A bit of searching the local 2nd hand websites uncovered a likely candidate - a 3-year old LG 49-inch television that went bad about a month after the warranty period had expired (bad luck, that).  The TV displayed a very unique and peculiar behaviour, with the screen stable for three seconds, then unstable for three seconds, then stable again (and so on).  

The owner wanted about USD50.00 for it, so I took the plunge and bought it, reasoning that I could at least squeeze a disassembly video out of it, if not a repair one.  

I also assumed that the LG would be configured like most modern LCD TVs, with three boards:  (a) A power board; (B) A motherboard; and (C) A logic (or controller board).  Well, you know what assume can make of someone.   It certainly happened to me.  You can only imagine my dismay when I found out that LG has integrated their controller board with the physical panel, making the replacement (or repair) of that part a very complicated and expensive affair.

Luckily, I came across a video from (Indonesia?) where a technician had figured out a way to hack the LG 4K TV "shared bus" design.  He had determined that certain traces in the machine had been duplicated across connectors, and found out that blocking (or "masking") off one of the duplications resulted in a stable picture.

Inspired by that video, I replicated the method he explained (in Bahasa) and have produced my own video of how to repair the LG 4K Flickering Picture problem, in English, with great success!


No comments:

Post a Comment